Whether you are enquiring about available positions (and perhaps funding) or have a funding scheme that you would like to apply for (to be held in Owen’s group), there are a few things you can do to make it more likely that you get a useful response from Owen, or any other potential supporter.
- Include your CV with your enquiry, including names of any previous supervisors.
- Include a short statement of research interests and motivation, highlighting any outstanding acheivements.
- Include a statement about the research you propose and how this research fits well with the supervisor’s / group’s.
- Be explicit about the funding source(s) you have in mind. Link to the funding scheme web pages you have identified.
- Begin enquiries at least one month before any deadlines; more time may be needed in many cases.
Many enquiries to Owen do not adequately address the third or fourth point!